Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I went to go see my friend...

After crying half the day on Saturday and not thinking I would be able to go visit my friend at the hospital, I put on my big girl panties and went to see her.  This friend has been there for me through two miscarriages, my two twin pregnancies, and everything in between.  We carpooled to work for 4 years and never ran out of things to talk about!!  She was the first non-family member to see the girls after they were born, and has always gone on "adventures" to the mall, or where ever with me and my tiny army.

Since I've been trying to BF more, I took Elliott with me to the hospital to see her.  I wasn't sure of the etiquette on this, so I asked her if she minded that he come with me and she said that she didn't.  Her baby boy was such a cutie pie!  I got to hold him for several minutes.  I know it hasn't been that long since I've had a newborn, but holy crap they grow fast!  Her baby boy was just about the size of Elliott when he was born.  Its hard to believe that they were that tiny and fragile just 6 months ago!

While I was there, Elliott was hungry.  A photographer had come in and was taking pictures of their baby, so I decided to breastfeed Elliott instead of getting out the bottle.  He did a great job! My friend was having breastfeeding troubles, so I asked her if she mind I feed him, and she didn't care.  I felt really horrible that I was so scared to see her.  She was going through some hard times too with the breastfeeding, and I think she's doing better.  I just talked to her and she said he ate every 2 hours round the clock since he came home!  Yikes!  He's been falling asleep eating a lot too, then she swaddles him up, puts him down and he screams again.  Oh, ,the newborn days!  Sometimes I'm not sure how I survived them with the round the clock 3 hour feeding schedule.  Its hard enough lately and they are sleeping pretty much all night!

At the end of the day, I'm glad I went to go see my friend.  My mom listened to my crazy talk about why I didn't think I could handle it, but reminded me that she has always been there for me and that I should go.  

1 comment:

AletaObrien said...

Yeah!! I'm so proud of you! I'm glad that you went, not just for your friend, but also as a healing process for you. Oh my gosh though, those sleep deprivation nights and days are a killer. I had never experienced anything like that and it's not for ONE night.. it's for a long stretch of time and that does some horrible things to a person's body and mind and sense of being. I feel for any newborn's mommy after going through the experience. It sounds like you have a wonderful friend and you're equally as wonderful for her! Happy for you!