Wednesday, July 2, 2014

What a whirlwind.....

As I'm sure you can imagine, things are always nuts over here.  Some weeks we just lay low and hang out at home and others it feels like we are hardly home at all. 

Saturday night, Brian and I got a sitter and went out for a friend's birthday. Brian drove, and let's just say that I didn't hold back on the drinks.  I managed to find that fine line between being happy drunk, and drinking way too much that you have a hangover.  This mama has no time for hangovers!


On Sunday morning I got a few things done and then after lunch a friend came over to help me make jam.  The week before, I pretty much lost my mind and purchased about 50 pounds of apricots from the store because they were on sale.  It seemed like a good idea at the time, and then I realized I had no idea how to make jam and can it properly.  A friend of mine came to the rescue and offered to come help me make it all.  It was a ton of work and I was tired beyond belief afterwards but holy crap, we made 77 jars of jam! (And canned fruit!)

This is what 50 pounds of Apricots looks like

About halfway though. At this point we had 34 jars of jam and were working on the canned fruit in a light syrup.  We also did 3 jars of Apricot butter

The haul!  Pretty amazing huh?

After the kids went to sleep, I made myself a vodka and apricot juice cocktail.  YUM-O!

Apricot jam on toast.  Heavenly
Monday we didn't do anything super exciting.  The girls and I started out the day by watering our container garden.  We just planted it on Friday I believe but better late than never, right?  During the kids nap time I finished up a Batman cape that I think turned out pretty awesome.  The emblems were hand cut out of felt.  I hadn't made one before, but with the help of an online tutorial and some pointers from some friends I got it figured out!  Oh, and I can't forget that Brian helped with the Batman.  That's kind of his thing.
Its the girls' job to give the plants "a drink of water"  We had to talk in depth about the fact that we couldn't pick green tomatoes.  It didn't stop them from picking  a tiny green pepper though...

Ollie enjoyed some mangos for lunch.  This kid cracks me up

Reversible Batman cape!


Tuesday we were supposed to get some pictures taken.  Long story short, but they are free so I thought, why not?  Monday night I just really didn't feel like having to get the kids ready for pictures so I asked if we could reschedule.  I also wanted to make some tutus for the girls and capes for the boys as props but I just didn't get a chance to do that yet.  So, instead of the photos, I decided it was a good idea to take all 4 kids to the pool by myself.  We met about 5 other moms there, too. The boys skipped their morning nap, it was chilly out, and everyone was super crabby so it didn't go great.  I'm glad I tried, but honestly it was pretty much a disaster and a half.  Tuesday night, I had about 5 other MOMs over for drinks and a bonfire.  It was pretty awesome to just sit outside and socialize without the kids right there!  Since it was at my house, I wasn't really watching my tequila intake.... whoops.  Lets just say that I was pretty tired on Wednesday morning.

I tried this whole slice grapes between two plates thing and I must have done it wrong because it didn't work

Tequila! Its from TJs and really is quite good. 
Today, Wednesday, I took the girls to a play date at a park with other multiples.  There were 3 sets of triplets, probably 6-7 sets of twins, and a few singleton siblings.  The girls really had a great time playing with the kids and I was happy to be able to talk to some other MOMs!  On our way home, we picked up a friend's daughter who was going to help me organize the basement.  That place had just become a complete black hole of toys and such.  And right now, its 9 pm and I am beyond exhausted.  Tomorrow, the plan is to take it easy.  We'll see how that goes.

No comments: