Thursday, December 8, 2011

Two Month Checkup

Yesterday Brian and I took the girls to the doctor for their two month checkup!  I was very interested to see how much weight they gained and if they had caught up in their percentiles at all for height, weight and head size.  We got to the doctor's office right on time!  They actually called us back on time too!  Usually when you have appointments in the afternoon it seems like they run behind schedule and you end up waiting.  The nurse first checked the girls height, weight and head size.  I always get worried that they are going to have an accident on the scale since they have to be completely naked!  Here's how they measured up:

Evelyn: Birth weight: 7lbs 0oz
December 7th:
Height: 22inches 30th percentile
Weight: 11lbs 9oz 70th percentile
Head: 40.3cm 80-85th percentile

Charlotte: Birth weight 6lbs 3oz
December 7th:
Height: 21 3/4 inches 20th percentile
Weight: 10lbs 12.4oz 50th percentile
Head: 39.3cm 65th percentile

It looks like I still have two shorties with big heads! LOL  Their daddy has a big head and I am pretty short so I guess they are taking after us equally. 

After the nurse got done checking their stats, we went back to the room to wait for the doctor.  Our pediatrician is actually out on maternity leave so we saw a physician's assistant today.  She was nice but I didn't like her as much as I like our regular doc.  She checked Charlotte first.... looked in her eyes, pressed on her tummy and opened up her diaper and looked at her hips.  Well, its a VERY good thing that she checked Charlotte first.  About the time she was checking Charlotte's diaper Evelyn had a HUGE rumbling in her pants.  I opened up her diaper to change her and it was seriously liquid poop.  I'm not sure if she peed at the same time or what but it was soooo gross! I tried to change her as cleanly as possible but it got everywhere! How embarrassing.  I looked like I didn't know how to change a diaper.

The doc checked Evy out and asked us about the girls' development.  Right now they should be smiling in response to our voices, holding their heads up to at least at 45 degree angle, bearing weight on their legs if we hold them up and following people across a room.  They are doing all of those things so I am very happy that they are on track!  She said that very soon they would start giggling.  I can't wait. 

The last part of the appointment was the "fun" part.  The girls had to get three shots and a vaccination that they had to drink.  They were the bravest babies I have ever seen!  Charlotte didn't even cry until the second needle went into her leg.  Evy cried a little more but she did great as well.  They each cried for five minutes- if that and were sound asleep as soon as we got in the car.  They even slept the whole time while Brian and I went grocery shopping. 

We got home and it was a totally different story. They were both crying so I had to feed them at the same time.  I never do it, but I left them in their carseats and propped up their bottles.  I have only done this once before and felt super horrible about not holding them while I fed them.  But, they needed food and they needed it fast.  Later that evening Evelyn would just not stop crying.  She wasn't happy in her swing or laying down in her bassinet.  All she wanted was for mommy to hold her.  She isn't usually as snuggly as her sister so it was really nice to be able to hold her and cuddle with her for a couple of hours.  It really made me feel like she actually needed me.  She just slept on my chest while I watched a little TV and dozed off for a while. 

1 comment:

Pam said...

Poor baby girls, those stinkin shots just hurt and mess up a girl's day! I would give mine tylenol before they ever got their shots, remember my baby is 22 now and about to become a daddy himself, so they may suggest something else now, like baby motrin, or advil, not sure, but it does seem to help with the discomfort. Sounds like they are growing good! Thank you for sharing! A friend in East Texas, Pam