Thursday, December 22, 2011

We Made It!

Somehow... not sure how.... we made it to Minnesota!  Last night into today it snowed about two feet in the Denver area.  The snow was so deep on my driveway my boots sunk all the way into it and got my pants wet.  I was not too happy about that.  The day started out by needing to take the dog to the kennel to be boarded.  I left the house at about 9:45 and was home by 10:45.  The drive usually takes 20 minutes each way so an hour wasn't bad considering that I wasn't driving very fast to get there.  After the dog was dropped off I had to shovel some of the driveway so that we could get out later.  We had booked a Super Shuttle to pick us up and bring us to the airport so that we didn't have to shove ourselves into my SUV. 

When the driveway was shoveled I went inside and continued to pack, wash clothes, wash bottles, make bottles, etc.  I was struggling to make our 2:00 deadline when the shuttle was to pick us up.  Somehow, the girls were in their carseats and we were all ready to go by about 1:45.  Not sure how that happened, but it did.  Brian and I realized that we hadn't eaten breakfast or lunch yet so we shoved our faces with some Halloween candy.  2:00 came around and we anxiously awaited the shuttle.  We waited.... and waited... and waited.... and then it was 2:30 and the shuttle was still not there. 

I called the company and asked where the hell our van was.  They called dispatch and got the run around.  Apparently they couldn't send out a handicap accessible van as we requested so they called Yellow Cab to send out an accessible vehicle for us.  They sounded shocked that nobody had called us to say that the cab was supposed to be coming instead.  I asked when the cab was going to be there and nobody could tell me.  I was pissed.... actually beyond pissed at this point.  It was now 2:45 and our flight left at 5:40.  We were at least 45 minutes from the airport and had no idea how we were going to get there.  At that point we made an executive decision to get in the car and go.  I shoved our suitcases in (one in between the girls and two in the back) and the stroller and I loaded Brian's wheelchair after he got in the car.  We all fit... but barely. 

We were now on the way to the airport in a hurry.  There is nothing worse than being super mad and having to drive in not the best road conditions.  I shouldn't say the roads were horrible, because they weren't... but they were still slick.  Then, to add insult to injury, my wiper fluid stopped working on the driver's side.  Yup, the passenger side squirter worked fine but not the drivers side.  Awesome. 

We got to the airport and parked in the garage parking.  Did I mention that the shuttle company was going to pay our parking?  They better damn well pay it!  They put us through hell thinking we might miss our flight. 

Getting through security was a breeze.  We went right through and all of the people were super helpful getting the carseats and stroller put back together after I walked through.  We didn't feel rushed or like we were super in the way or anything. 

We got to the gate with about 5 minutes to spare.  We were lucky and got to pre board so that was nice.  BUT, you can't have more than 4 people in a row and we were on a full flight so I had to sit across from Brian.  I sat by a really nice gal that had just got engaged and we pretty much talked the entire flight.  She totally didn't mind sitting by me and Charlotte so that was really nice. 

Both girls did great on the flight!  Charlotte slept most of the time and Evy did some of the time.  Neither of them really cried at all which was nice.  They got bottles going up and down so their ears didn't hurt so that worked out just fine.  Brian's dad picked us up... we went to Walmart to pick up a few things and then checked into our hotel.  That was a nightmare but the story will have to wait for another day.

No comments: