Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The First Days Home

We were at the hospital from Thursday-Sunday.  (I will get to the whole birth story later!) I am so thankful that my mom and sister were out here so that they could help us get home from the hospital.  I'm actually not so sure how we would have gotten home if not for them!  It takes a lot to load two babies into the car along with my husband's wheelchair.  Brian usually loads his own chair.... but there are now car seats in the back seat and I am not supposed to lift more than 10 pounds. 

We got home and had to figure out how we were going to do everything.  While in the hospital there are lots of nurses that will change the diapers, swaddle the babies, bring you water, etc. which obviously stay at the hospital when you go home (darn!) It was a bit of an adjustment.... especially during the night.  While we were at the hospital they had a nursery you could send the babies to for a bit if you wanted to.  They suggested that we let them do one feeding during the night so that we could get a solid 6 hours of sleep.  At first I didn't think that was a good idea since I was breastfeeding, but I also know that sleep helps healing and I really wanted to heal quickly from the c-section.  So when we got home there was obviously no nursery. 

When it was time to go to bed the girls kept waking up!  Brian and I changed them, fed them, held them, walked around, you name it.  Evelyn just would not stop crying and therefore her sister also got upset and fussed as well.  The only thing we could think of was that they were cold.  For some reason our room is about 10 degrees colder than the rest of the house.... so we bought a space heater to solve that problem (the next day of course.)  After we figured out that they were cold we camped out in the living room for the night so that we could at least get a little sleep. 

Last night was a little better.  I have to say Brian is an amazing daddy!  Evelyn was fussing and I could not comfort her so daddy told me to go back to sleep and took care of the girls for a few hours.  It was so amazing to get a few hours of uninterrupted sleep you have no idea!  He even made an amazing breakfast in the morning! I think I will start calling him Super Dad! 

My mom and sister flew in from Minnesota last Wednesday and unfortunately had to go home today.  Brian took them to the airport around 11am and I have to say it was very strange here without them!  I can already tell that those girls love their Grandma and their Auntie Em!  They are so good with the girls and seem to know how to comfort them.  I, however, am still working on that! :)

Something memorable from today: Both Evelyn and Charlotte had explosive projectile poop.  I changed their diapers and I guess they weren't done!  I have to say there was poop everywhere!  Now I know why they need so many clothes and blankets! ha

Evelyn & Charlotte swaddled up like burritos


No comments: