Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Babies next week (or before)!

My doctor called me this evening to inform me that I do in fact have cholestasis of pregnancy (aka that crazy itchy thing due to a liver thing.)

What does that mean you ask?  Well, NSTs 2x/week (but I am 36 weeks today and have NST tomorrow so not sure if I will have 2 next week or not.) and delivering at 37 weeks instead of 38.

Also, depending on things, it could mean that the VBAC is out.  Pretty much my only chance of a VBAC at this point really depends on what my cervix is doing and if I go into labor on my own.  If I have to be induced completely and my cervix is not dilated then it will have to be another c-section.  With an induction the contractions come on too hard and strong and the chance of uterine rupture goes up a lot.  I asked about the cervadil that is used to soften the cervix, but that causes the scar to soften so that's out too.

I asked the doc if I should walk around the block 10x and he said, Yep, get walkin!  He also said to try castor oil (1tsp) but he doesn't usually recommend that because it makes everything contract.  I've heard it can make you sick... and that sounds like no fun.

I go in tomorrow for my weekly NST and cervix check with the doc so I guess we will see what's happening tomorrow afternoon.  In the morning I think I am going to run to the store (perhaps literally!??) to get a few things for my hospital bag and get that packed.

I feel like I have a million things to do!  Tonight Brian and I wrote out the girls' general daily schedule for the person that's going to be watching them during the day while we are at the hospital.  Our nanny is most likely going to be that person, but there are a couple of conflicts in the schedule where she is at class, etc.

Did I also mention that I am nervous as heck!? Not sure why, because I am ready to meet these boys but I think that having an official "end date" to this pregnancy is just surreal.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I have goosebumps thinking about how soon your sons will be here! I'll be praying for a safe, healthy delivery for all 3 of you and anxiously be checking back for the big news!!!! ((Hugs)) my friend!

Aleta said...

How exciting!! I understand that surreal feeling :) We were supposed to be able to wait until Feb 28th, which would be the first day of the 39th week, but due to blood pressure issues, they bumped me up to Feb 18th (MONDAY) for noon. Today we just made 37 weeks, so I'm happy to be at the full term mark. Nervous :)