Tuesday, November 15, 2011

6 Week OB Appointment

Today I went back to the  OBGYN for my 6 week post c-section appointment.  I didn't really know what the appointment was for.... I figured they would just check my scar, ask a few questions and send me on my way.  Nope!  Instead, the nurse asks me to undress.... all the way!  Huh? I was not expecting that at all and hadn't even shaved my legs.  Whoops. Little did I know that they would be doing an annual exam and a breast exam.  It was no big deal, but it would have been nice to know what to expect. 

I told the doc about my milk issue and he gave me a prescription for Reglan.  He said in a lot of patients that he has it has increased the supply so much that no formula supplementation is necessary... even with twins!  I am hoping this is the case because the formula is so crazy expensive! 

The doc also asked why exactly we had to do IVF and what our plan for birth control was.  I almost actually started laughing.  I was just thinking to myself... birth control?? Why would I need that??? He just said that after pregnancy often a woman doesn't know when she ovulates before her first period.  But, I don't really ovulate either so... yeah..... don't think that will be a problem.  I guess being an infertile will save me a few bucks by not using birth control. ha. 

I had to go to this appointment without Brian and with the babies today.  I took my dad to the airport and went straight to my appointment.  I was about 45 minutes early but didn't really have time to go home, feed the babies, then get everyone packed up in the car and go to the appointment.  When I got there, the babies were sound asleep!  I though... hmmm... do I wake them to change/feed them? Or, do I wait and hope they don't wake up during the appointment.  I decided to wake them up.  I got Evelyn changed & fed and Char changed before they called me back. But of course they were not happy campers being awake and in their carseats.  The nurses were super nice and took them and held them while I was talking with the doctor.  I felt bad at first that they had to watch them, but they said that they actually look forward to people bringing their babies back and getting to hold them for a little while.  I must say, it was nice that they were so accommodating. 

I also asked the doc when it was safe to try for more babies.  He said to wait at least six months.  I don't know why anyone would really want to try sooner than that anyways... that would be a little nutty.  It actually scares the crap out of me to think about going down the road of fertility treatments again....... the emotional rollercoaster of that is just not something a person can really look forward to.  But, I wonder if it will be so stressful after already having a successful pregnancy.  Who knows.  All I really know is that we still have 7 frozen embryos to think about.  That is for later though.  Right now I have two beautiful girls that I can't take my mind off of.  Every time I look at them I just think about how much I love them and how lucky I am to be their mommy.

Evy (left) was making some grunting noises and some rumblings in her pants were happening.  Char (right) was looking at her saying, "Whats that smell? Do you have poopy in your pants?" 

1 comment:

Courtney said...

When Bailey was born.. he was really jaundiced from being born 4 weeks early so I had to go in to have him checked every day for the first two weeks. He was breastfeeding and waking up to eat about every hour so I wasnt sleeping much. During one of the appointments, the nurses took him out of the room for me to get checked out too and when they came back, I was sound asleep on the table. Two and a half hours later, I woke up and they were still cuddling away at him behind the nurses station. Said they though I looked like I needed the nap lol.