Sunday, May 5, 2013

Infertiles coming out of the woodwork

I've been very open with people about our struggles with infertility.  There are so many people out there that feel embarrassed, ashamed, or just uncomfortable with the fact that they need help to have children. The interesting thing is that you never know who you might be talking to about infertility problems that may be suffering themselves.

Just today, a coworker dropped by to pick something up.  He told me that his wife really wanted to come over and hang out with babies because she loves them!  I'm not sure if I asked if they wanted to have kids (because come on I know better than that!) or if he just started talking about it, but they are yet another infertile couple that have come out of the woodwork!  They are in their mid twenties and have been trying on their own for over a year.  They met with a couple doctors and found out that its a low sperm issue.  Everything else so far checks out.  He told me that he felt comfortable bringing up the subject because he knew what I had been through to get my kids.

I felt so happy in that moment to know that my experience was going to help someone out.  Its such a scary world to enter into without a support system.  Some people know they have large issues and IVF is their only choice and others, like my coworker, need to go through the process of using OPKs, getting lots of sperm analyses, timed intercourse, then IUIs and hopefully not IVF.  Its almost easier if you just know that IVF is what you need to do because then you don't have to through month after month of BFNs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really do appreciate it when people come to me with their infertility struggles.  It makes me feel good that people have someone they trust and respect to share their story with.  Everyone needs to feel like they are not the only person on the planet going through this.  And they aren't!


No comments: